Saturday, March 5, 2016

Perfect Perches, Part VIII

White-breasted Nuthatch and Blue Sky             18 May 2008

White-breasted Nuthatch and Ironwood

I made this image in my second year as a digital photographer, not so long after I had parted ways with film.  Parting with film was frightening, as I doubted the permanence of electronic media.  In the previous year, I had learned that digital could be friendlier than film in many ways, especially forgiving with exposure latitude, remarkably inexpensive, and allowing for in-the-field evaluation of technique and exposure.  This photograph of a White-breasted Nuthatch is a long-time favorite.  It combines good light, a perch with character, and the bird in a posture for which it has gained fame. The old trees in the far distant background made the clear blue sky of early morning more friendly as well by creating a subtle vingette.  

This image was made with the Canon digital Rebel XT, my first digital SLR, and a Canon 300mm f4 L IS lens and Canon flourite 1.4X converter. 



No comments:

Post a Comment