Sunday, February 21, 2016

Perfect Perches, Part IV

Juvenile Green Heron on a Wild Lake                       18 July 2016


Green Heron and Water Lily

I made these images of a juvenile Green Heron from a kayak on a wild lake with an undeveloped shoreline while conducting a volunteer loon survey for the Sigurd Olson Institute's Loon Watch.  Because the bird was so young, it was equally naive, allowing my close approach and exhibiting a full range of natural, uninhibited behavior.



Green Herons are the second smallest heron in Wisconsin (the Least Bittern is smaller), and, while they are commonly seen foraging and flying, it is rare to find a nest.  In Polk County, I find their loosely constructed stick nests in groves of young white pine (10 to 20 year trees), but they will also nest in willow thickets near water.   In the absence of a nest, I was happy to see the tiny tuft of down on the bird's head as proof of successful reproduction nearby.



Photography from a kayak can be very rewarding.  In general, I start early, before sunrise, so that I can scout the area from the water and begin to visualize what kinds of images I am hoping to make. Being low to the water allows excellent perspective, being eye-to-eye with wildlife, and it also seems to help in isolating clean perches and adding drama to the subject.  Light reflecting from the water plays on an animal's textures and colors and seems to borrow extra time for the morning's best photography hues.



If I am to bring camera gear into the confines of a kayak at all, I need to keep it small. My favorite kayak kit is a Canon 300mm f4 LIS with an older, less expensive Canon body.  I keep a small rain jacket folded on the floor of the kayak as well as a small hand towel, and I travel from place to place with the camera stashed in a waterproof duffel bag originally designed for motorcyclists (Mad Water Waterproof Bags).  I don't use a tripod from the kayak seat, but I use body position in an effort to brace my shots.


All images were made with a Canon 40D and a Canon EF300 f4L IS lens. My platform was a Gander Mountain Guide Series Elite 10.4 kayak. 



No comments:

Post a Comment