Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Perfect Perches, Part II

Nesting Eastern Bluebirds and Verbascum Mullein      16 May 2010


This male Eastern Bluebird has returned to the nest with a June beetle. He is giving a wing waving display to his mate. 

My search through a decade of my favorite nature photographs continues as I seek those perfect perches, those unusually clean and sharp bird photographs.  One thing all "perfect perch" bird images have in common is that they all required much more planning than conventional bird photographs and consequently led to more time afield, a deeper understanding of the birds' behaviors, and a wonderful, memorable experience of immersion in a natural setting.

Female Eastern Bluebird arriving at the nest with caterpillars



When photographing birds at a nest site, ethics in wildlife photography merge with diligent study of animal behavior and careful observations of the breeding pair.  I began by setting up my camera blind about thirty yards from the nest box after the eggs had hatched and the adults showed an intensified investment in the nest.  I observed the birds from a distance to be sure they grew used to the blind and did not hesitate to feed their young.  Once the parents proved their unfailing dedication to their young and I had determined that the blind posed no threat, I slowly moved it closer and closer to perches used by the adults.  Within two days, I had the blind placed within about ten feet of two primary perches used by the birds to survey the nest before feeding their young.  I only used the blind for a couple of hours before retreating it and eventually removing it completely from the area.



All images were made with a Canon Rebel XTi and a Canon EF 300mm f4 L IS lens mounted to a Bogen tripod.  I used an Ameristep Doghouse blind to conceal myself at the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment