Thursday, March 7, 2013

Maple Shadows and a Hint of Spring


Onaabani Giizis, Maajigaa                                         6 March 2013
(March, Crust on the Snow Moon, The Maple Sap Begins to Run, in Ojibwe Language)




Earlier than usual in this day and age, the maple sap runs in early March when the days are warm and the nights still brisk and cold.  As the snow crusts over and then melts from the base of the tree, it is time to harvest the sap to make maple syrup.   I took this picture as the sun set upon a ridge of sugar maple trees, casting long shadows.  March brings a sun that is much higher in the sky at mid-day. The energy of the sun evaporates the snow and melts the surface, even when the greater air temperatures haven’t lifted above freezing.  I felt that the warmth of the sunset colors made a fine tribute to the warming air of March.   I made this picture with a small electric radio-controlled fixed-wing aircraft and Kodak Playful HD camera.  The lower quality of the image made by a “screen capture” of the video coupled with the unusual perspective brought to mind the playful and retrospective art being made by modern photographers using tiny 110 negatives and other “obsolete” equipment.  I was thrilled to get this image back, as all of my flying is “LOS” or Line of Sight.  I never know exactly what the airplane sees until I get my camera back! 

Minogiizhigad geget! Miigwetch!  

Sent from my iPlane

No comments:

Post a Comment