Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Corkscrew Swamp, Florida

See You Later, Alligator                               19 February, 2011



Family friendly, conservation-minded, and justified as famous, Corkscrew Swamp is a biological universe in a relatively small space.  It was the first day I ever heard the haunting cries of the Limpkin, the first day I ever saw my own reflection in an alligator's eye, and the first time my watering eyes ever glimpsed the rainbow colors of the Painted Bunting. In the afternoon sun, an Anhinga dried its wings.  I was so fortunate as to study the hungry mosquitoes collecting around a patient Great Blue Heron's eyes, to see a Little Blue Heron dance between moments of feeding and moments of alligator evasion... Enjoy a short hike along the boardwalks of Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary through my lens.








All images were made using a Canon 30D and a Canon prime 300mm f4 IS flourite lens. I enjoyed seeing the Painted Buntings, even if they didn't cooperate for photography that day.  Still, I posted what I got that day so that you can enjoy the rainbow too.  Joining the National Audubon Society is just one way to help save biological diversity for future generations.  Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary is an Audubon Society affiliate and, when I was there, offered discount admission for members.  You'd have to check with them, but I think it still works that way today.   

No comments:

Post a Comment